Sunday, June 3, 2012

I am not qualified, May 2012

Some days ago I was eating out with a colleague in the evening and we made the mistake of both taking our cars. Everybody who knows the Marina Walk can imagine that even during the week on a less busy day, there is no way on earth that you can find two parking spots. So we had to park in the garage.

So far, so good! We went to have dinner at the Lebanese restaurant: cold Mezze, as usually. And we sat outside because even though it was already May, there was a sandstorm which brought a fresh, cool breeze which made it bearable to sit outside. Over some chit-chat we had finished our meals and upon paying our bill we had our parking tickets validated with a stamp of the restaurant.

Since we were not yet feeling tired, and the meal was quite filling, we decided to walk a bit as to check out the restaurants and the infrastructure of the neighbourhood. On the way I must have lost my validated ticket, but when I relaized it was gone, we couldn't find it anymore as the wind had been blowing so hard. I thought  "Never mind! I am wearing a skirt, and the employee at the entrance of the parking was a guy, so I can probably convince him very easily to let me out of the parking without paying the fine (of AED 250!)."

Hmmmm, when we reached the security-guy at the entrance and told him the story, he was not very understanding (note to myself: I guess I have to realize that my legs are no longer working!!!), and told me I would have to pay AED 250 to drive out with my sweet little Gracey. I almost begged him for mercy, and then we realized that we still have the other parking-ticket, and since we were entering the garage right after each other, we could find out the respective number of my ticket, as the ticket-machine uses subsequent numbering.

With this information we found out that the charge up to that point was about AED 120, which is still a bit over-exaggerated for 3 hours of parking, but better than AED 250. The only problem was: without the ticket he would still not let me out! I suggested to call his manager and talked the supervisor into the agreement that I would pay the current chargeable amount in the very moment, and in case they would not be able to handle like this with their accounting department or whatever, I would leave my contact-details. The supervisor asked me to hand in my Emirates ID (an obligatory ID-card for all UAE-residents), and the security guy would copy the details.

It turned out that there was no copy-machine available, and when I showed him my ID-card so he could take down the details, he told me "Ma'am, I am not qualified". I didn't understand at the very moment, but only when I finished taking down the details, I realized, what he was about to tell me. In a very polite, and shy way he had admitted not being able to write. All my anger was gone after the shock of realisation. I paid my AED 120 we had agreed upon and still being very European I asked him for a receipt, but he told me "I will be there, and you have to trust me that I will not jeopardize my job for your money."

I felt embarassed.

No comments:

Post a Comment