Saturday, March 26, 2011

Happy Holi!, 18.03.2011

Happy Holi! Holi is probably the origin of the word "holiday". At least I would see the connection, as Holi exactly feels like holidays: it is relaxing, relieving and at the same time exciting, cheerfully happy!

Holi is the Indian festival to welcome spring. It is all about colours, dancing and fun. Ooops, I just realized I am not writing in German anymore... seems to be the daily influence that makes me forget about my own language! But that's a whole different story...

So, the basic rule is actually to get dressed in white, and to meet up with friends. I couldn't meet the first expectation as there is nothing white in my closet that I wouldn't mourn for if it was destroyed, but I met up with my friends in Jumeira1. Together with Farida I was welcomed by my friends throwing all the colours of the rainbow on me: yellow, red-golden, purple, blue and green - even my car got some spots and they are still there :-)


However, after getting coloured like a rainbow I refused to use my car for the drive to the actual venue of the festival. It was located close to Hyatt Hotel in a waterpark - which is good, because to clean up all that mess you would need quite a lot of water... The rides were closed and at the end of the road there was a stage and a huge area completely covered with Ganges-like coloured water. Everybody was urged to lay down and to get soaked by this colourful water. It turned out to be orange-purple. After laying down and getting completely soaked I couldn't care less about my outfit and behaviour. I simply enjoyed the atmosphere! I danced, splish-splashed around, got my face and arms covered with green colour and danced... oh, did I dance!!! And laugh! Other people would have to take drugs to get to this stage, I didn't...

Others danced so wild the backs of their shorts ripped off... So we decided to have a break and after drying up, we noticed we are all very hungry. But where to eat? In this outfit and with faces out of the movie "Shrek" nobody would have let us in... So we took the drive-in option of Mc Donald's and finally ate at the beach. After lunch I decided to have a swim in the sea to get a little cleaner. Didn't help much, but at least I felt refreshed :-).


Later that day we took a shower and tried to scrub off the colours with a sponge, but it was bewitched! Some of the colours seemed to like parts of my body quite a lot. I couldn't remove the pink colour from my scalp, and there were also some green spots left in my face. They only wore off over the next week.
Luckily the washing machine could remove all of the colourful stains on my clothes. Farida was not as lucky. Her Hawaianas will remain pink forever (instead of white), and her T-Shirt will always remind her what a lovely festival we had!

No comments:

Post a Comment